National School Program
The First Tee National School Program introduces the game of golf and The First Tee Nine Core Values and Nine Healthy Habits to elementary students during physical education classes. Currently introduced to more than 5,300 elementary schools, this school golf program creates an environment where young people are introduced to the lifelong sport while learning the basic golf motor skills and the inherent values of the game.
- Provide a complete golf program appropriate for today’s elementary school physical education students and teachers
- Enable physical educators to introduce golf consistent with national standards developed by NASPE
- Develop student appreciation for the positive personal and social values associated with the game with each lesson
- Engage students in daily lesson activities that lead to motor skill development
- Present golf to students as a lifelong recreation and physical fitness activity
A safe, effective school golf program requires modified equipment that fits movement and muscle coordination typical with that of beginners. Early success and fun are the keys to creating interest for the game along with maintaining the attention of new learners without causing high levels of frustration.
The equipment utilized as part of The First Tee National School Program is SNAG®, Starting New At Golf. SNAG is modified, developmentally appropriate golf equipment consisting of over-sized clubs, tennis-style balls, and a variety of targets. Each school set contains enough equipment to work with up to 48 students at a time.
The First Tee of Central Iowa has been successful in welcoming 15 area elementary schools into the National School Program:
|Des Moines||Central Campus|
|North Polk||North Polk West|
Bring It To Your School?
Become a vital part of The First Tee of Central Iowa’s mission by bringing the program to your school or even sponsoring an elementary. The First Tee National School Program provides participating schools with:
- Developmentally appropriate golf equipment
- The National School Program Curriculum
- Training for the physical educators implementing the program
The program not only teaches students about the game of golf, it teaches them about The First Tee Nine Core Values: